Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fish Tacos

When we were in San Diego, everyone told us we HAD to try the fish tacos
at Rubios. I couldn't imagine fish on a taco, but
we LOVED them!

The authentic San Diego fish tacos use deep fried fish.
I wanted to figure out a recipe using grilled fish.
It took a few times of trial and error, but this
is the recipe I perfected:

Preparing the Fish

For my family of four, I buy two 1-lb. bags of frozen Tilapia fillets.
This way, we have some leftovers for lunch the next day.



Marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 packet of Taco Seasoning Mix (find by Taco fixin's in Mexican food section)
Juice from 1/2 fresh lime
Heaping TBS minced garlic from the jar



Mix up the marinade and brush it on the thawed Tilapia fillets.
Set aside to marinate for about a half hour.


Prepare the grill by oiling it lightly.
BEFORE you turn on the grill, use a wire brush to remove any debris on grill.

Pour vegetable oil (I use Canola) onto a paper towel.


Wipe the oil onto the grill grate.
One time, I put on too much oil and the grates caught  fire!
So, go LIGHTLY with the oil.
This will keep the fish from sticking.


Heat grill to high.

While grill is heating make the:

Salsa
4 large tomatoes seeded and chopped
1/2 cup red onion chopped
1 serrano chili peppers seeded and chopped
3 TBS fresh cilantro chopped
2 TBS fresh lime juice
2 TBS olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.



The seeds in the serrano chili peppers are HOT!

Cut in half lengthwise, flip on your garbage disposal,
then immediately put cut pepper under running cold water.
Remove seeds with cold water running over them, and do not take pepper out of running water
until the seeds have gone down the drain and been ground by the disposal.


Chop the pepper, onion and tomatoes...


Mix together in a bowl with the cilantro, olive oil and lime juice.
Salt and pepper to taste.


Also mix up:

White Sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 TBS. fresh lime juice
2 seranno chili peppers, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste



Repeat the seeding process for the serrano chili pepper
and finely chop.


Mix all the ingredients together.
Salt and pepper to taste.

I snip chives from my herb garden on top, but that's optional.


With grill heated, cook Tilapia directly on the hot grate.
Cook for about 4 minutes.

Flip over and grill the other side.


When fillets are cooked through, transfer to a cutting board,
and run a large knife through them.


You can use hard or soft taco shells.
We prefer hard.
Cover a cookie pan with foil and spread out hard shells.
I LOVE the new Stand 'N Stuff Shells by Old El Paso!
Crisp shells at 300-degrees for 10 minutes.



Soft taco tortillas can be wrapped in a clean, damp dish towel and
microwaved for 30-60 seconds to steam them.

Layer the tacos with fish first, then salsa, then the white sauce.

You can also add shredded cabbage.

This makes an awesome summer meal!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I LOVE this! Hmmm... you made me crave for tilapia fillets... and fish tacos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this fish taco, Jill. I like tilapia a lot by the way, no matter how it is prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete