Monday, September 6, 2010

Barbecued Ribs


For many years, we hosted a big Labor Day shindig at our house complete with a Bocci Ball tournament and lots of corn-on-the-cob
and RIBS!!!

 


This year, I cooked up the ribs again and thought I'd share how to make them

I love this method because you put the ribs in the oven in the morning,
then forget them while you play with your guests.

This year, I bought three slabs of pork ribs.


First mix up this delicious rub recipe.


Barbecue Rib Rub

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 TBS. black pepper
1 TBS. chili powder
1 TBS. garlic salt (or powder if you don't want added salt)
1 TBS. onion powder
1 tea. cayenne pepper

Whisk these spices and the brown sugar together in a bowl.


Preheat oven to 300-degrees.

Line your Thanksgiving turkey roaster with foil, place rack on top of foil
and spray the rack with Pam.


Spread some paper towels on your kitchen counter or cutting board, and
lay out a slab bone side up.

Cut between the bones every three to four ribs.


Dredge each piece in the Rub, patting the spices into the meat.
If you don't like spicy food, you can skip the rub and sprinkle with a little garlic powder instead.
I actually prefer just garlic, but my family loves the rub.


Start standing the pieces up in the roaster like this:


This allows the fat to drain down below the rack.
If you stack the meat on top of each other, it doesn't drain well.

This is what my three slabs looked like when I was done:


Cover the roaster and bake at 300-degrees for two hours.


I put my ribs in the oven at 8:30 am

After two hours, lower the heat to 250-degrees and cook all afternoon.
I have cooked these between 8 and 12 hours.

During this time, most of the fat will cook off and end up below the rack.

This is how they looked after 8 hours:


Yum!
To add a delicious grilled flavor and color,
put them on a grill set to medium heat.


Grill long enough to crisp up the ribs and add the famous grill stripes.
This doesn't take long...the ribs are already cooked.

Some will probably be falling off the bone.

Slather on your favorite barbecue sauce.
I never add the barbecue sauce before or during grilling because it burns and
really messes up the grill.


You won't have any of these left
after they hit the table!


Celebrate!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Looks so GOOD! my mouth is watering again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm learning another way of making barbecued ribs! this looks so yummy! thanks for sharing Ms Jill.

    ReplyDelete