Thursday, August 26, 2010

Zucchini Pesto "Noodles" & Garlic Ginger Pork Chops


My friend Beth gave me these four zucchinis from her summer garden.
Instantly, I thought of making Zucchini Noodles that look and taste like real pasta noodles.
(Don't tell the kids they're really eating a vegetable!)

First, mix up my basic pesto recipe.

I turn the zucchini into "noodles" using this scoring tool:

I bought it by mistake in a kitchen store at our outlet mall. I thought it was a regular vegetable scraper, but look close and you'll see those sharp thingies that you scrape along the zucchini.


It scores the veggie into lovely "noodles".


I keep the dark skin because I like the nutrition, but if you want them to look and taste more like real noodles, peel the zucchini first and you'll get noodles that look like this:


(The kiddies would never know they're not eating the real thing!)

If you don't have this scoring tool, simply use your regular vegetable scraper and create noodles like this:
(That's how I made them before I scored the nifty scoring tool.)



Keep scoring until you see the seeds.


I cook my "noodles" in a vegetable steamer:


If you don't have one, simply put a few inches of water in a dutch oven and steam noodles in your metal colander with the dutch oven lid on top like this:


Or you can saute the zucchini in a sauce pan with a little butter or olive oil.

Once heated through...takes only minutes...
add a blob of pesto and stir to coat.


Pesto Zucchini Noodles make a great side dish.
You can also sprinkle them with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.


I made them for dinner this week and served them with my friend Debbie's great recipe for

Garlic Ginger Pork Chops

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBS minced garlic (I use the kind in a jar for ease)
1 tsp. powdered ginger (You can chop up the fresh stuff for awesome flavor, but I never had time for that)



The longer you marinate, the better the taste. Try marinating overnight.
But, in haste, I have also brushed on the marinade and plopped them on the grill immediately.


Yep, TWO servings of vegetables in this meal!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so good and healthy! I want this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete