Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sugar Cookies


This versatile dough can be used to make
a variety of Christmas cookies.

They're also the
BEST Dang Cookies in the World!
I wrote about them and shared the
method on my other blog.

Christmas Sugar Cookies
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter- 1 1/2 sticks
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract

Chill dough for several hours or overnight.
(see other blog for more details)

Here are some ways to use this
dough to create a variety
of Christmas cookies.

Preheat oven to 325-degrees

Warm some of the chilled dough by
squeezing in your hands.


Roll it into a log about 1 inch in diameter.


Divide the log and roll some in
colored sugar.


Some can be rolled in chopped nuts.
This is my daughter's favorite Christmas cookie.
I make the nut variety just for her.


Cut these logs into cookies.

Bake for 8 minutes.
Do not over-bake.
I like NO color on the bottom.


For another variety,
roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
I like to make Christmas cookies small,
so everyone can taste all the different kinds.

I use a square shot glass as
a cookie cutter.


You can place the cookies close
together on the cookie sheet because
as you can see by these done cookies,
they do not rise or spread.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.


Lay out long strips of waxed paper on your
kitchen table or counter.

Stack cooled cookies and gather
your favorite Christmas sprinkles.


I buy white and milk melting chocolate at our
local cake supply store,
but you can use regular chocolate chips, too.

Line a deep, micro-wave safe bowl with waxed paper.
This saves on clean up later.

Add chocolate chips.


Microwave on high for one minute.

It will look a bit melty.
Stir thoroughly.

Place back in the microwave
for 15-seconds.


Stir again.
Do NOT heat for longer than 15 second intervals.
Chocolate burns fast and once it burns,
your entire batch of expensive chocolate in ruined.
(Ugh! I have burned it by being impatient.)

Continue heating at 15-second intervals
until the chocolate is smooth.

It takes 2-4 rounds and will look like this:


Dip the cookies halfway into the melted chocolate.


Lay the dipped cookie onto the waxed paper.


Dip about ten, then add your favorite sprinkles.
The kids LOVE to help with this.
Older kids can help with the dipping, too.


I do both white and milk chocolate.


One dough creates a festive
array of DELICIOUS
Christmas cookies!

1 comment:

  1. Nice and unique recipe I have not seen this on any other website. And it looks yummy. I think it just gave me a big appetite.

    ReplyDelete